The Federal and South Australian Government have formed an agreement to bust congestion, with all ten of the Urban Congestion Fund projects to commence construction within 12 to 24 months.
The delivery of the ten critical federal infrastructure projects will help to reshape the city by eliminating some of Adelaide’s most notorious traffic hotspots.
Federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure, Alan Tudge, said kicking off construction on the $361 million Urban Congestion Fund package was one of his top priorities for Adelaide.
“These projects will bust congestion, they will deliver life-saving road improvements and they will bolster freight connections that underpin the state and national economies.”
The projects form part of the Coalition’s $8 billion investment in transport infrastructure for South Australia between 2013–14 and 2028–29, including $1.9 billion over the next four years alone.
South Australian Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government, Stephan Knoll, said that he looked forward to working with his federal counterparts to progress priority projects.
“We have built a strong record of our two governments working together to deliver congestion-busting and life-saving investment across Adelaide and the regions,” Mr Knoll said.
“Over the next few years, there will be a steady pipeline of metropolitan and regional road projects going out the door.
“These projects will underpin construction jobs, help save lives and slash travel times.
“We are not wasting any time on future commitments, have started planning works on all metropolitan congestion busting projects across Adelaide.”
The Federal Government has committed $361 million to ten projects as part of the Urban Congestion Fund, these projects are:
- Torrens Road (Ovingham) Level Crossing Upgrade
- Brighton Road (Hove) Level Crossing Upgrade
- Portrush Road – Magill Road Intersection
- Cross Road – Fullarton Road Intersection
- Old Belair Road Upgrade, Mitcham
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- Glen Osmond Road/Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- Main North Road/Nottage Terrace Junction Upgrade
- Grand Junction Road/Hampstead Road Intersection Upgrade
- Main North Road/Kings Road/McIntyre Road Intersection Upgrade